West River Eagle

Mesonet at SD State Eagle Butte realtime weather web widget

U.S. Department of Agriculture/Farm Service Agency News

The Corson, Dewey, Meade, Perkins and Ziebach County FSA offices would like to keep you informed of the following items important to USDA programs. 

If you have any questions, please contact the following offices at:

– Corson County FSA: 605-273-4506 Ext. 2

– Dewey County FSA: 605-865-3522 Ext. 2 

– Meade County FSA: 605-347-4952 Ext. 2

– Perkins County FSA: 605-244-5222 Ext. 2 

– Ziebach County FSA: 605-365-5179 Ext. 2

FSA Calendar deadlines

October 17, 2022: ARC and PLC Sign-up began

January 30, 2023:  Deadline to request all ELAP assistance for 2022 Calendar Year losses.

January 30, 2023:  Deadline to request LFP assistance for 2022 Calendar Year losses.
March 1, 2023:  Deadline to file an LIP Application for Payment

March 15, 2023: 2023 Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) Signup-Deadline

March 15, 2023: Final Date to acquire 2023 NAP Coverage.  

– NAP coverage is not automatic, you must contact your local FSA Office.  

– NAP coverage does attach to any acres until an acreage report is filed. 

– If you have NAP coverage but do not file an acreage report you will not have coverage on your acres.  Deadline to timely report your 2023 acres is July 15, 2023.

July 15, 2023:  Final date to timely certify your 2023 Acres.  

Office notes

FSA State and County Newsletter: Interested in our GovDelivery newsletter?  Sign up by clicking the link: public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFSA/subscriber/new/

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP): Notice of Loss must be filed within 30 days of when the loss is apparent.

Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP): Notice of Loss must be filed within 30 days of when the loss is apparent for livestock and farm-raised fish losses.  A Notice of Loss must be file prior to hauling water to livestock, hauling livestock to feed and feed transportation.  Assistance is available for eligible producers to haul water to livestock and livestock to feed and hauling feed above normal.  Water hauling is now available to producers past the end of the grazing season.  Call your local FSA Office for more information.

January Interest Rates

Farm Storage Facility Loan Program Interest Rates : 4.125% – Farm Storage Facility Loans, 3-Year; 3.750% – Farm Storage Facility Loans, 5-Year; 3.750% – Farm Storage Facility Loans, 7-Year; 3.625% – Farm Storage Facility Loans, 10-Year.

Disaster Assistance available for Livestock Losses

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides assistance to you for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather, disease and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected by federal law.

For disease losses, FSA county committees can accept veterinarian certifications that livestock deaths were directly related to adverse weather and unpreventable through good animal husbandry and management.

For 2022 livestock losses, you must file a notice within 30 calendar days of when the loss is first apparent. You then must provide the following supporting documentation to your local FSA office no later than 60 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the eligible loss condition occurred.

– Proof of death documentation (pictures with date, producer contemporaneous records at the time of the event, rendering truck receipts, etc.)

– Copy of grower’s contracts

– Proof of normal mortality documentation (vet records, loan/bank documents, purchase receipts, birth records, etc.)

USDA has established normal mortality rates for each type and weight range of eligible livestock, i.e. Adult Beef Cow = 1.5% and Non-Adult Beef Cattle (less than 250 pounds) = 5%. These established percentages reflect losses that are considered expected or typical under “normal” conditions.

In addition to filing a notice of loss, you must also submit an application for payment by March 1, 2023.

For more information, contact your local County USDA Service Center  or visit fsa.usda.gov.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write:  USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call (866) 632-9992 or (toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *