West River Eagle

Mesonet at SD State Eagle Butte realtime weather web widget

U.S. Department of Agriculture/Farm Service Agency News

The Corson, Dewey, Meade, Perkins and Ziebach County FSA offices would like to keep you informed of the following items important to USDA programs. If you have any questions, please contact the following offices at:

– Corson County FSA: 605-273-4506 Extension 2

– Dewey County FSA: 605- 865-3522 Extension 2 

– Meade County FSA: 605-347-4952 Extension 2

– Perkins County FSA: 605-244-5222 Extension 2 

– Ziebach County FSA: 605- 365-5179 Extension 2.

FSA Calendar Deadlines

August 2, 2022: Emergency Haying and Grazing of CRP may begin for eligible counties, but you must contact your FSA Office prior to any haying or grazing activities.

October 15, 2022: Grazing Period ends.

September 5, 2022: Service Center Closed in observance of Labor Day.

January 30, 2023: Deadline to request all ELAP assistance for 2022 Calendar Year losses.

January 30, 2023: Deadline to request LFP assistance for 2022 Calendar Year losses.

Office Notes

– Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) Signup: Ziebach County June 3, 2022 – August 1, 2022; Dewey County May 16, 2022 – July 14, 2022; Late filed applications may be accepted up to 30 days after the end of the signup period.  Any applications received after the 30-day period are considered ineligible. For more information, please contact the Dewey County FSA Office at 605-865-3522 Extension 2 or the Ziebach County FSA Office at 605-365-5179 Extension 2. 

– Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP): Notice of Loss must be filed within 15 days of when the loss is apparent.

– Noninsured Assistance Program (NAP): Notice of Loss must be filed within 15 days of when the loss is apparent. Each County Committee is required to establish loss areas prior to the grazing season.  Losses are required to be determined for each established area.  Losses cannot be determined until after the grazing season ends which is October 15, 2022. 

– Change to Policy on Filing a Notice of Loss for Grazed Forage Producers with NAP Coverage: For the 2022 crop year, NAP forage producers with the intended use of grazing who elect to use independent assessments or other approved alternative loss percentage methods to establish their loss are no longer required to file a CCC-576 Notice of Loss with FSA.  However, a CCC-576 Application for Payment form must be submitted to FSA no later than 60 calendar days after the coverage period ends. If an independent assessment is used to determine the loss, producers have 180 days to file an application for payment. Producers that elect to have the grazing loss determined using similar mechanically harvested units still must timely file a CCC-576 Notice of Loss within 15 days of the disaster event or damage to the crop first becomes apparent or within 15 days of harvest.

FSA Offers Drought Assistance for Livestock Producers Through Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm-raised Fish Program (ELAP)

If you’ve suffered above normal expenses for hauling feed or water to livestock or hauling livestock to forage/grazing acres due to the impacts of drought, you may be eligible for financial assistance through the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP).

For eligible producers in qualifying counties, ELAP provides financial assistance for:

– the transportation of water to livestock;

– the above normal cost of mileage for transporting feed to livestock,

– the above normal cost of transporting livestock to forage/grazing acres.*

*Hauling livestock one-way, one haul per animal reimbursement and no payment for “empty miles.”

Eligible livestock include cattle, buffalo, goats and sheep, among others, that are maintained for commercial use and located in a county where the qualifying drought conditions occur. A county must have had D2 severe drought intensity on the U.S. Drought Monitor for eight consecutive weeks during the normal grazing period, or D3 or D4 drought intensity at any time during the normal grazing period. Producers must have risk in both eligible livestock and eligible grazing land in an eligible county to qualify for ELAP assistance.

 Please contact your county FSA office for additional details. ELAP also offers assistance to producers impacted by wildfire. Contact your county FSA office for more information on ELAP resources for wildfire losses. In addition, beekeepers also can benefit from ELAP provisions and should contact their county FSA office within 15 calendar days of when a loss occurs or from when the loss is apparent. For more information regarding ELAP, contact your local County USDA Service Center or visit fsa.usda.gov/disaster.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *