Sunday, October 24, 2021

Mesonet at SD State Eagle Butte realtime weather web widget

U.S. Department of Agriculture/Farm Service Agency News

The Corson, Dewey, Meade, Perkins, and Ziebach County FSA offices would like to keep you informed of the following items important to USDA programs.  If you have any questions please contact the Corson County office at 605-273-4506 ext 2, Dewey County office at 865-3522 ext 2, Meade County at 347-4952 ext 2, Perkins at 244-5222 ext 2 or Ziebach County at 365-5179 ext 2.

FSA County Offices are open for business by Phone Appointment Only!  The service center remains closed for visitors, but we will continue to work with producers by Phone and Digital Tools Like Microsoft Teams, Box and One Span and emails.




June 14, 2021 – CRP General and Continuous CRP signup begins

June 15, 2021 – COC Nomination Period Begins 

July 12, 2021 – CRP Grassland enrollment signup begins

July 23, 2021 – General CRP signup ends

July 30, 2021 – SHIPP (Soil Health and Income Protection Program) signup ends

August 2, 2021 – Final Date to Request Farm Reconstitutions

August 2, 2021 – Final Date to submit COC nominations

August 2, 2021 – First day CRP Non-Emergency and Emergency haying and Non-emergency grazing can begin 

August 6, 2021 – deadline to submit CRP continuous signup 55 offers

August 20, 2021 – Deadline to submit CRP Grassland offers

August 31, 2021 – Final day of 2021 CRP Non-emergency and emergency haying and grazing.  

Corson County ECP (Emergency Conservation Program) signup begins on June 1, 2021 and ends on July 15th, 2021 contact the Corson County FSA Office for more information

Dewey County ECP (Emergency Conservation Program) signup begins on June 1, 2021 and ends July 30, 2021, contact the Dewey County FSA office for more information.

Ziebach County ECP (Emergency Conservation Program) signup begins June 24, 2021 and ends August 23, 2021,  Contact the Ziebach County Office for more information.


USDA announces dates for Conservation Reserve Program Grasslands signups

Agricultural producers and landowners in South Dakota can apply for the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) Grasslands signup from today until August 20. This year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) updated signup options to provide greater incentives for producers and increased the program’s conservation and climate benefits, including setting a minimum rental rate and identifying two national priority zones.

The CRP Grassland signup is competitive, and USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) will provide for annual rental payments for land devoted to conservation purposes.

“USDA is excited to roll out our new and improved CRP Grasslands signup,” said Joseph Schultz, Acting State Executive Director for FSA in South Dakota. “USDA is providing a bigger return on investment in terms of protecting natural resource benefits. The Grasslands signup is just one of the many tools available through CRP to help protect our nation’s working lands.”

Grasslands Signup

CRP Grasslands helps South Dakota landowners and operators protect grassland, including rangeland, and pastureland and certain other lands, while maintaining the areas as working grazing lands. Protecting grasslands contributes positively to the economy of many regions, provides biodiversity of plant and animal populations, and provides important carbon sequestration benefits.

FSA has updated the Grasslands Signup to establish a minimum rental rate of $15 per acre, which will benefit 1,300 counties.

To focus on important wildlife corridors, FSA also identified National Grassland Priority Zones, providing extra incentives to producers for enrolling grasslands in important migratory corridors and environmentally sensitive areas – the Greater Yellowstone Elk Migration Corridor and the Severe Wind Erosion – Dust Bowl Zone. Counties within these two zones get extra ranking points as well as $5 added to their rental rate. The CRP Grasslands Ranking Factors fact sheet has additional information.

How to Sign Up

To enroll in the CRP Grasslands signup, producers and landowners should contact USDA by the August 20 deadline. Service Center staff continue to work with agricultural producers via phone, email, and other digital tools. Because of the pandemic, some USDA Service Centers are open to limited visitors. Contact your Service Center to set up an in-person or phone appointment. Additionally, more information related to USDA’s response and relief for producers can be found at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write:  USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call (866) 632-9992 or (toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users). 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *