November is National American Indian Heritage Month. The Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe has designated November 13-17 as Native American Week.
The following schedule of events is planned for tribal employees, but everyone is encouraged and welcomed to participate:
Monday, November 13:
Family Tree Day
• Tribal employees will receive an email with a questionnaire about their family tree. (Family names, Indian names, bands)
• Each completed family tree will be displayed in the hall of the tribal chairman’s office
Tuesday, November 14:
Lakota Language Day
• Greet everyone and answer phone calls in Lakota
• Wear name tags with Lakota name
Wednesday, November 15:
Roc Your Mocs
• Wear your moccasins
• Free lunch at Oglala Lakota College
• Round dance for unity
Thursday, November 16:
• Design your own poster
• Tribal departments/programs can share information and photos on their poster about their staff.
• Answer the question: How does your program implement culture, traditions, and Lakota values?
• Prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place
Friday, November 17:
• Wear red for Missing Murdered Indigenous Women
• Wear bead work, ribbon skirts, ribbon shirts
Each day, participants will be entered into door prize drawings (2 door prizes daily).