Announcing the call to artists for Native POP: People of the Plains, a juried Native art show and cultural celebration of the Great Plains Tribes at Main Street Square, Rapid City, South Dakota on Saturday, July 20 – 21, 2018.
Native POP reinterprets the traditional art market and celebrates the historic and contemporary values of Native artists. Our art market reflects the cultures of the Great Plains including the broadly functional role of art and we embrace all forms of creativity. Both emerging and established Native artists shared their work with thousands of people at last year’s event, and we are excited to see the talent and joy our sixth year will bring!
Native POP began in 2013 as the Gathering of People, Wind and Water and changed its name in 2016. The event grew out of an ongoing, large-scale work of public art in granite at Main Street Square, Passage of Wind and Water, and sculptor Masayuki Nagase’s themes of hope, transformation and the aspiration of all beings in nature to live in balance.
Native POP Features:
• A Friday night opening event and juried awards with $17,000 in prizes
• A variety of music and dance performances throughout Saturday with a concert after the market closes
• Interactive learning opportunities for the entire family
• Emerging artist recognition and prize opportunities
• People’s Choice Award
What to Expect
• Exhibitor hospitality including two complimentary lunches, water and breaks throughout the day
• 500 convenient, free parking spaces for vendors in adjacent city parking garage
• A metro population of more than 130,000
• National, regional and local event promotion
• 10’ x 10’ booths located on 6th Street and inside Main Street Square
• No commission of your sales
Eligible participants must be enrolled members of state or federally recognized tribes, in accordance with the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990, with preference given to artists from Great Plains Tribes.
Applications due February 19, 2018. Apply online at the website: www.nativepop.org. Applicants will be notified on April 2, 2018. For more artist information or questions on the application, please contact Katie Adkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605.394.4101 x212.
Native POP: People of the Plains – A Gathering of Arts and Culture
Native POP’s mission is to encourage intercultural dialogue by sharing cultures from the tribal nations of the Great Plains through a juried Native American fine art show and cultural event in Rapid City, South Dakota.