Friday, January 22, 2021

Mesonet at SD State Eagle Butte realtime weather web widget

Disaster resources for producers

Help Line Resources and Crisis Support

• Call 211 for immediate support or contact the Avera Farmer Stress Hotline at 800.691.4336.

• Support is also available by texting your zip code to 898211 or by emailing

Assistance for Livestock Losses

• The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) is available for livestock owners or contract growers through the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA). Covered livestock include, but are not limited to cattle, poultry, swine, sheep, and goats.

Producers must  le a Notice of Loss with FSA within 30 days of when the loss is apparent.

Losses in excess of normal mortality are coverd under LIP. Producers must provide veri able inventory and death loss records by applicable livestock class.

Payments are 75% of the market value of applicable livestock for livestock owners and 75% of the average income loss sustained by the contract grower.

The maximum per person and legal entity payment limitation no longer applies.

Payments may be available to livestock owners who sell injured livestock at a reduced price.

Assistance for Loss of Feed

• Need feed? SDSU Extension has a Facebook page, the SDSU Extension Feed and Forage Finder, where you can sell, buy, or donate hay or feed.

• The Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP), administered by the FSA, provides  nancial assistance for additional feed costs incurred as a direct result of feed lost due to  ooding or excessive snow. Financial assistance for increased costs associated with snow removal may also be available under ELAP.

Producers must  le a Notice of Loss with FSA within 30 days of when the loss is apparent.

Producers will be required to submit receipts documenting costs associated with additional feed purchases or excess snow removal.

Assistance for Debris Removal and Reparation of Farmland

• FSA’s Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides assistance to help with costs associated with debris removal and repairs to farmlands damaged by  ooding or other eligible disaster conditions.

Contact your local FSA of ce to inquire about the county speci c ECP application period.

Producers must provide receipts documenting eligible expenses.

As a condition of eligibility, National Environmental Preservation Act (NEPA) and Cultural Resources reviews must be completed prior to the onset of work.

• The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), along with South Dakota’s conservation districts, are providing free, on-site technical assistance for evalutating needs related to natural resources due to natural disasters. Assistance with soils information, water, and soil quality, as well as assistance with a wide variety of conservation practices, is available.

• Financial assistance through the NRCS’ Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is available for implementation or replacement of needed conservation practices to help mitigate impacts from the natural disasters. Producers must apply for the program prior to starting work to be eligible for  nancial assistance. Please inform NRCS of any conservation practices that have been destroyed due to natural disaster.

Financial Assistance

• FSA provides emergency loans to help producers who are located in a designated disaster area or contiguous county with a Presidential Disaster Declaration, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Disaster Designation, FSA Administrator’s Physical Loss Noti cation (APLN), or U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Quarantine Designation. Current FSA borrowers in these counties may be eligible for disaster set aside assistance.

Contact Information

Farm Service Agency

200 Fourth Street SW

Huron, South Dakota 57350


Natural Resources Conservation Service

200 Fourth Street SW

Huron, South Dakota 57350


South Dakota Department of Agriculture

523 East Captiol Avenue

Pierre, South Dakota 57501


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You have 0 more free access views left